Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Dayton to AAC?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
I have been told in the past, though I don't know if this is still true, but if you account for the money brought in by the football players attending UD (in theory, if UD dropped football none to few of these athletes would still be attending UD and paying tuition) that UD football essentially breaks even.

Outside of men's basketball, I have trouble envisioning any other full scholarship program at UD bringing in enough money in ticket sales to cover the cost of coaching salaries and scholarships. I assume there are some sports that only offer partial scholarships, or perhaps have only a handful of players on full scholarship that may tilt the scales in the same way that football does. I don't know the breakdown by sport on who offers scholarships and at what level.
Although I'm a proponent of the football program,I think saying that football player tuition is "income" and could be counted as offsetting the cost of the program is shakey at best. If the football players were not here, their spots would be filled by tuition paying students and the net income would be the same.