Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2023, 12:27 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
Agree 100%; if Obi got a consistent 25-30 minutes a game or more, no question he'd average 15-18 ppg, 5-8 rebounds, 2-3 assists, 1-2 blocks, 1-2 steals per game. Thibideau has made it a point to discredit Obi's performances. I look at a recent acquisition of Josh Hart, decent player, etc...but he's not any better than Obi in my opinion, just getting a lot more of a chance to play. I only hope that Obi ASKS for a trade in the off-season.
Josh hart is objectively, based on body of work to this point, a better NBA player than Obi Toppin (although they don't play the same position), which is why a playoff team was looking to add Josh Hart, and trying (maybe not that hard), to trade Obi Toppin.

I love Obi and want him to do well but how can you say if his minutes were X his stats would be Y? If Obi played 30 minutes a game, he would be playing against starters who have watched tape and game planned for him, he would have to play defense and rebound, (not saying that is his fault given his roll now, but if you play 30 minutes you aren't just standing on the perimeter looking to get a fast break). Alot of things would be different. Part of the problem is that Obi just isn't the phenom he was in college in the NBA. There was nobody who did what Obi did when he was in college, but in the NBA he is a "poor man's Kevin Durant" and tons of guys have the athletic gifts and motor that he does.

I also don't get how you can say that Thibs is "discrediting" Obi's performances. What does that even mean? Does he go into press conferences after Obi has a good game and say that the guy defending Obi had an off night or that Obi got lucky? He is not Phil Jackson, I sincerely doubt he was the final decision maker on the Hart trade.

I get the frustration for guy we all like and want to succeed, but this just isn't reality. Reality may well be that there isn't a significant roll for Obi on the Knicks because their system and/or coach suck but it certainly isn't because the coach has some axe to grind or hates Obi, at least from where I am sitting.