Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2023, 05:31 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
I didn't say you couldn't look at all the data, I said you're comparing apples and oranges. Sure, they're both fruits, but they look different, taste different, have different calorie and fiber content, vitamin levels, etc. But one requires peeling before eating, and they taste quite different. Starting (and playing most of the game) is distinctly different than coming off the bench for 12-15 mpg. Some players, it doesn't matter a lot, they thrive in either situation. Some are better suited to start, and some, better off the bench. But most, if not all, would at least benefit from more playing time, and prepping as a starter has clearly been better for Obi than his short stints off the bench. Those facts are pretty clear from the data available.
Those are facts that I don't dispute but my original objection was the certainty with which you quantified how stats would improve. We both agree that Obi would have a much better chance of becoming a star if he is in a situation where he can start and play 30+ minutes a game. That will happen if and when he or Randle is traded.

I also disagreed with the notion that Thibs has some personal vendetta against Obi. I think he is frustrated that the fans are so vocal on social media about Obi's playing time, but you don't take an all star out of the game to give another guy minutes. You take an all star out of the game to give him a blow. I acknowledge that Thibs seems to refuse to play Obi and Randle together but who knows why that is. Part of it may be because neither one of them is a strong defender or rebounder. Ideally if you were going to have both of those guys on the floor one of them would be in the post, not really either of their games.