User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Hobopotamus1 View Post
This rumor "feels" like it's correct.

1) The last few weeks, the team played like they were not in it for the long haul (past this season), like AG would not be the coach next year.

2) UD would never fire AG after a year like the one we just had, especially after the tragedy with his daughter.

3) It would just make sense, at least to me, that AG would make his home here whether or not his heart was still in coaching.

4) AG is the ultimate representative of what the University is all about, regardless of what you think about his coaching, and would add tremendous value in the Athletic department. BTW, it is safe to say that Rick Pitino does not represent what the university is all about. If he got hired, I'd eat my shoe and then give up my season tickets. But I digress.

5) Greer does not have the "Big Whistle" head coach personality, BUT that may be an old-school (like two years ago) way of thinking. Maybe, and I'm saying maybe, the wave of the future for HCs is to be more like Greer: the recruiter who can truly identify with kids so that they are less likely to transfer under the current rules.

I just think this just looks like what is most likely going to happen. Of course, it almost goes without saying that this would be the best way to keep as many guys from transferring, including the option of AG wanting to be the HC.

FWIW, Anthony Grant is a GREAT man with integrity and class. He's everything UD wishes to stand for. He deserves everyone's respect, and of course, we should wish him well no matter what he decides is best for him and his family.
I think a good deal of this makes sense, and it's spelled out well.

However, I don't think there's anything to be read into the timing. They played their last game five days ago. And if they've already decided on Greer as the next guy, then there's no rush at all.

I think hiring Greer would be a big mistake and extremely short-sighted. Sure, there's continuity, and you're more likely to retain players, but we have no idea what Greer is as a head coach. The foundation at Dayton is strong enough that they don't need to roll the dice on first-time head coaches, especially ones whose sum-total coaching experience is six seasons at Dayton.

There's always a call for an internal hire. Think Ron Jirsa, Billy Schmidt and Tom Ostrom; none went on to prove themselves as good head coaches.

Dayton basketball is bigger than handing the job over to the most obvious guy. Unless there's absolute certainty Greer is a superstar-in-waiting, it makes zero sense (and feels lazy, honestly). Sullivan would be effectively pinning his job to Greer's coaching success.