Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 04:46 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
AG- I got hope and here's why...

Okay, I'm going to set the record straight. I posted the gist of this in the game thread but I'm going to put it here so that I can't be accused of wanting AG fired and taking pleasure in failures.

I'll start by quickly reiterating what I think are his weaknesses and then get to why I have hope. I think he's lacking in the flexibility of creating an identity for the players he was handed. He's going to emphasize his way only regardless if he's trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. I think he has a difficult time getting players he inherited to buy in to his system. When it comes to coaching up, I think he is lacking there also compared to his predecessor. There are others but I'm going to stop here.

I believe that the only way for AG to succeed is to successfully recruit better players that are ready to contribute immediately. And I think this is his strength. He's got a knack for drawing better, ready to play recruits. I think his past coaching jobs have shown that. Now, here's what makes me think that there's a good chance that will happen here. In AM's 6 seasons, only one player was able to crack the starting lineup their freshman season. Dyshawn Pierre. The others played small roles except for Scoochie who had to play more of a role due to Khari Price's knees. Scoochie wasn't that impressive but he was stable with the ball and could eat up minutes. Next on the list would be Baby D who was forced into a major role due to a short team both physically and in availability. So nothing real impressive.

So far in one season with only one eligible recruit, Jalen Crutcher, AG is one for one. This is impressive especially since he was a desperation late recruit. Now we know our roster is short on both new and experienced talent so it was probably easier for him to crack the starting lineup, but if that was all there was I'd use that as an excuse for it happening. But Jalen Crutcher has been as impressive with the many minutes he's getting as anyone I can think of in recent history for the Flyers and that includes Dyshawn Pierre.

I can't be sure but it certainly makes me excited to see Obadiah Toppin and Dwayne Cohill take to the floor next season along with a few more that AG will bring in the next couple seasons.

So there you have it. Yes, I'm still going to blame AG a lot for the failures of this season because I think those weaknesses I mentioned above have a lot to do with them. If I look at one game and say it was Josh Cunningham's fault we lost that in no way means that I'm not thankful Josh Cunningham is on the team. If I look at a season and say Kostas was a disappointment that in no way means that I don't believe that Kostas will get better and please us in the future. I'm just dissecting what went wrong and what caused it. I'm looking at the small picture which is what we do on a topic about a game or a topic about a season.

So go ahead and keep attacking me and accusing me of not giving AG a chance, I'm not going to sugar coat single game or single season failures. I can't do it, it's not in my nature. But again, I'm real excited to see how this team performs as we get more of AG's recruits in here because after only one very successful freshman in 6 seasons by a very successful coach, I can't help to believe we could be in for some future great times with a coach who is one for one so far.

Last edited by Smitty10; 02-04-2018 at 04:53 AM..
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (02-05-2018), FlyerBob (02-04-2018), jumpin' joe (02-05-2018), rollo (02-05-2018), Runnin' Rebel (02-05-2018), San Diego Flyer (02-04-2018)
Advertisement