Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 08:43 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
I know those that disagree with me are going to state this has to do with inexperience and AG needing his players...sorry charlie...I know it is early, but the talent it will take to run this offense is going to be hard to come by. The lack of fundamental design with the offense worries many people...it doesn't give these guys the best opportunity to succeed. Will it in the future? Maybe.

Not upset about the loss as there will be many more this season. But this is more than youth or talent...
I think anyone who looked at AG's past history had some concerns about the offense. His most successful years at VCU included conference POY guard Eric Maynor. If your system requires POY to be successful you better be an ELITE recruiter. Ant may be that recruiter.

I also think his offense has a lot of nuance and feel that will take time to be effective. Ideally, AG fills the pipeline with talented and high IQ players and then reaps the benefits of these players gaining experience until they end up with JR/SR led teams that can run it effectively. That would be the best-case scenario. With the right personnel and experience this could be a devastating offense. He's going to need a cadre of play-making wings that can all dribble, pass and shoot.

The counter-argument is that his system is well beyond the scope of most collegiate basketball players and assembling a roster capable of running it effectively is next to impossible. We'll have to wait and see.

You beat teams by getting more shots/FTA or being more efficient with roughly the same amount. Right now that are not doing anything to consistently generate more opportunities than the other team (rebounding, FTA, TOs) and are not especially efficient shooting the ball.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Whacker For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (11-30-2017), Smitty10 (11-30-2017)