Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 12:45 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,044 Times in 583 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Having said that, the opinion expressed by the WSJ editorial board in this mornings editorial, as it went through the features of the agreement one by one, is that the new deal is not as good as NAFTA...

I hope the Journal is wrong in their view and that all parties benefit. Time will tell.
I remember Ross Perot making the comment about NAFTA .... " that whooshing sound you hear are all the jobs moving to Mexico ... "

Pretty much the tale of the tape on that. Even the unions where against it. And they suffered significant loss in their membership.

The US manufacturing base started a downward spiral with NAFTA passage. Yet most large (giant) industries like the auto industry saw it was good to lower their labor costs. So for them, it was a good agreement.

The small to mid-sized suppliers to those plants in Mexico, did not always have the means to follow suit with a factory transplant. Hence they were stuck with higher cost here in the states and their customers expecting margin cuts to feed themselves (customers).

So yea. NAFTA was good .... for some. But not for all.

Now we shall have to wait and see if the 'new deal' is to provide any improvement. Remember, just like NAFTA the full impact negative OR positive will have to wait to see how it plays out.

I know because it involves Trump, the media will claim after a few minutes that nothing good has come out of it, therefore it is a bad deal.

I am willing to wait and see .....
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (10-02-2018)