Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 10:16 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Billionaire sports team owners didn't get their by staffing their businesses with engineers, accountants, truck drivers and secretaries who have great 'potential'. They got their by hiring people who overachieve without having to be kicked in the ass daily.
Not trying to be an a-hole (it just happens), but this is flat out wrong. What you say about accountants, truck drivers, etc is true, but that doesn't apply to players. Players are drafted on potential all the time (in every league). Just look at this player from last season:

- Played one year of college basketball
- Could not crack the starting lineup - played 17 minutes a game
- Scored 10 ppg and pulled down 6 rebounds per game
- He did this playing in a conference with a lower RPI than the A10
- He was drafted in the top 10

Does any of that sound like a top 10 pick? Of course not, but a team saw enough potential in him to make the pick. That player was Zach Collins - who was playing very well at the end of the year. So not saying Kostas is a top 10 guy. He's worth a late 2nd at best. But to compare how a team hires office staff with how they pick players is asinine - in my peasant opinion.

Heck - the Eagles used a late round pick this year on a rugby player. Never played football in his life. You can't tell me that's not based solely on potential. And you can't tell me they don't know how to pick players. I'm sure the Eagles don't hire accountants without experience or a degree in accounting.

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
IMRO, he's worth a $35,000 G-league roster spot as a free agent. From there I simple tell him 'your future lies in your hands...and head.'
This I agree with 100%. Most of this argument is that a few people around here seem to think Kostas has no business being at the combine. They think it is his last name alone that got him the invite. I'm just saying that isn't true. His name certainly helps him (more than a little). But teams see an incredible athlete they think they can make into a basketball player. I wouldn't be shocked if a team took him late to ensure he was in their G-League system to develop. That alone means he has earned a spot at the combine - not that it was a favor to his brother.

And I have the same concern you do. If Kostas approaches his NBA career the way he approached his NCAA career - then he won't have an NBA career. His work ethic needs to improve - greatly.
Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (05-18-2018)