Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 10:07 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I don’t know how much timing matters in terms of poaching an assistant. You go after a top recruiter from a lower program like James Kane or maybe an assistant from a bigger program under a head coach who is on the hot seat. Another option which is not a route Dayton has ever gone down is to bring in the coach who is a package deal that brings you a stud recruit. This is pretty shady but it’s permissable and happens all the time. Of course, Grant has shown that like most coaches he tends to target guys who he has worked with previously. So honestly that’s probably what we should expect here.

All that said, losing Kane does hurt. He’s a rockstar recruiter and also a strong coach. I think he’s going to be a very successful head coach. And I think that could happen in the next 3-4 years. So it wasn’t going to be at Dayton because I think Grant’s here till he retires or is fired and I think he’s going to be given plenty of time to prove himself. Like 5 years at the very least.

But I do have confidence in Solomon and Greer as recruiters so I could see the logic in bringing in a really strong bench coach / tactician and just elevating the recruiting duties and territory of those two. Hypothetically (and I doubt this is Grants’s move) if you brought in a D2 lifer, that could be a good move. Might not be real popular here but it’s hard to say what exactly we need, for me anyway, as the delineation of our staff’s strengths is a bit of a mystery and my hunches aren’t based off a ton of evidence.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 06-15-2018 at 10:10 AM..