Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 06:44 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Here's my concern and I've never seen anyone attempt to explain it

This isn't strictly about height and weight it's about being to play a position and fill a roll on a basketball team. This boils down to low post play which is playing close to the basket in the paint.

Luke Fabrizius was 6'9 225 and he couldn't play in the post. Xeyrius Williams was 6'8-6'9 and he couldn't. Kendall Pollard was 6'5 and he could.

From the publicly available info and the opinions of the national recruiting analysts Obi and Frankie are perimeter oriented combo forwards in the mold of Xeyrius. Nothing I've seen suggests these are guys that can go down and bang in the post with a Tillman from VCU.

As an aside if you think since he's graduated that the rest of the bigs in this leagues are weak (which is what many people have claimed) you're kidding yourself

Someone on this team other than Josh Cunningham has to box out a Cart'ere Gordon on a rebound or be physical enough to keep a Grant Golden from getting position in the post. I like Ryan Mikesell more than most on this board and I like what I've read about Obi but I think it could be big trouble if Cunningham gets two quick fouls and these guys have to live around the basket for 15 minutes

After Josh graduates there's a big a whole. A true freshman has to be a hit in recruiting to step in right away. Good JUCO bigs and grad transfers have virtually every power conference team after them

I hope I'm wrong but I think this is an area of reasonable concern
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (06-27-2018), rollo (06-27-2018), superfan99 (06-27-2018)