Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: McKinley Wright
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 09:42 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
Your logic is so ****ed-up on so many levels...where do I begin or should I bother? I guess I will...

>>>The one entity that gets screwed the worst in this situation are the recruits. <<< Exactly how? Does the recruit still have a UD scholarship sitting there waiting on him?

>>>The recruit used all the precious time he had to research and find his best fit. In most cases this means coach/basketball first, school second. <<<
If I were gifted enough to play and be recruited to be a division 1 college basketball player, would I be looking at my likely career AFTER basketball and what the SCHOOL offers in terms of career development/degree? What happens if the coach dies before the player ever makes the first practice? Shouldn't any coach be telling these guys your chances of making it to the "well-paying pro level" is like 1 in 100?

>>>If the recruit doesn't want to play for the new coach, wants to play for the former coach and there's a spot that the former coach can use this player, then is it ethically right to refuse to "poach" him?<<<
All to often, when a coach leaves and a new coach is hired, you see the new coach cleaning house to make room for "his" recruits to follow him. See John Calipari (any place he's ever been) and watch his "actions". How completely unethical is that? Someone else suggested that players should be able to follow the coach when his coach leaves to take another job. That should only be allowed to happen without penalty if the new coach (in this case Dayton) tells the player he's been released from obligation. If Archie poaches players from UD, he'll destroy any legacy (and respect) that he's earned.
Look, it ain't a good situation for anybody here but you can try to use your logic all day long (and it's not incorrect) but you can't avoid at looking at this thru the player's eyes either. Most all of these kids think their s___t don't stink and believe they can go pro. You can believe what you want but almost 100% recruiting is about "comfort and relationships". That's the relationship with the coaches and comfort with the players on the team mainly and whatever else that "said" player was able to get familiar with on his visit(s) which ain't much since they are with the team almost the entire visit.

I don't disagree that kids should commit to the school far more than the coach but that's not happening nor realistic most of the time..Way too many multi-millionaire coaches with awe-struck reputations that these kids see on TV all the time come into your living room and "they" (not the school) tell you how "they" (not the school) will take care of the kid and how "they" (not the school) will get them to the NBA.

There are plenty of kids that commit to a school very early in the process and "said" coach looks them and their parents squarely in the eye and says what a "great 4 years we'll have". That is very influential. Meanwhile, several other enticing schools come in for the "hook, line, and sinker" and the kid and the family tell them it's too late. Either way, there is blame to go around to all but just as much where you can't blame all parties for now being left in this position and especially the kid and the new coach coming into what can be a dumpster fire.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-28-2017), Smitty10 (03-28-2017)