Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 01:23 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,682 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
One very big time complaint!

Second half- Obi got absolutely hammered on an attempted dunk - knocked him to the floor. So hard that a flagrant 1 review would not have been unwarranted. AG was incensed - as he should have been. As the ref goes by Grant he T's him up. Grant goes ballistic. Assistants hold him back for nearly a minute.

My complaint - and this happens far too often. The ref obviously blew the original call. So why do refs compound their mistake by hitting the bench with a T when everyone in the house knows they already screwed up once. This is when "referee discretion" says give the coach a bit of latitude because I know I missed the call. I can accept missing the call, but the ref needs to leave the T in his pocket in this situation.

A good ref would wait for the next timeout and quietly go over to AG and say - There was contact. Call could have been made, but I left it go. Simple enough and everyone would understand.
Yeah, CAG had to actually be restrained by his assistants, he was so PO'd. Maddest I've ever seen the guy. I sit across the Arena and at the other end, so I don't know who said what when, but the dude in the striped shirt definitely did not handle the situation well. And once game action resumed, you could see CAG burning a hole straight through that ref with the "laser eyes" he had going on at that point.

On the flip side, I love having a coach who sticks-up for his players, and doesn't want to see anyone get hurt in a situation like that. I'm guessing CAG might have been beating himself up afterward for reacting that emotionally, but d@mmit - you can't have guys getting hurt as a result of cheap shots.

Also, on the Detroit side, I saw Mike Davis give a stern dressing-down to one of his guys after a particularly hard foul that the player had committed, so both coaches were trying to prevent anyone from getting hurt. Good to see. Keeps the game in perspective. Play hard, but play clean and play fair.