Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Crosby?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
That's exactly why I listed the play by play of the first few minutes of the game. The shortcomings of the plus / minus are shown there. Cunningham had 2 really bad TO's, Kostas had 2 fouls and a TO (and therefore only played 30 seconds with JC), Svoboda launching bricks, etc. None of that was Crosby's fault. If Cunningham had his head on straight, Kostas didn't spend 30 seconds flailing out of control, and Svoboda could hit a shot, we're winning at the first TO. And JC would not have had to do anything different. But as it is, he deserves to go from starter to water boy?! Makes no sense.

Did they look bad with JC in there? Sure. Is Crutcher better than JC right now? I won't argue the point.

But you sound exactly like the reactionary fans who wanted to sit SS during his freshman season. Or Cooke during a bad stretch. Like it or not, JC is on the team. You can either destroy his confidence and cast him into the waste bin, or you can continue to help him grow. Embarrassing him like this does not help him grow. No good manager I've ever seen publicly embarrasses people. That's what this was.
First, I saw your post listing the possessions in first 5m. Short of me going back to rewatch film and break it down, numbers never lie. Crosby was minus 9 in first 5 minutes. It may not be JC fault Svoboda missed a couple of 3's, but maybe JC missed recognizing the pass in the paint and kicks it to Svoboda with 3left on the shot clock to put him in a tough spot? So is that Svoboda fault for missing a shot, or JC for failing to execute the offense? You can't say JC is innocent by simply listing the outcomes of possessions -- that doesn't tell the whole story. Did someone pick up a foul bc JC didn't help on D? Absolutely his teammates could help him more, but from what I've seen, most of those bad possessions have more to do with JC inability to execute at the PG position.

Second, I don't think he deserves to go from starter to water boy. I don't really care who starts. If Crosby starts and we go down 11-2, put Crutch in. If Crutch starts and we go down 11-2, put Crosby in. Just play the best player. This isn't an attack on Crosby -- it's about winning basketball games. But when Crosby starts these last 2 games and we get down big, I think we shake it up Sunday and start Crutch. If he starts slow and Crosby ends up playing 34minutes, so be it. I just want to win.

Finally, not worth my time engaging in a hypothetical debate abt SS playing time 4 years ago. Let's stick to Crutcher, Crosby and facts. My goal is not to embarrass anyone. Really, the only time I offered my opinion was to say Crutcher should start. I never said Crosby is awful, an embarrassment, etc. -- far from it. I simply offered the facts: last 2 games we had terrible starts to the game with him at point. Last game he was -16 and Crutcher -4. Both 1TO. If you are interpreting those facts as an attack on Crosby, you're wrong. If you think I'm a Crosby hater, you're wrong. I actually think he should've gotten more PT at end of game against Hofstra FWIW -- maybe we win that game if he does. But when these men are receiving $50k a year to throw an orange ball through a hoop, you need to be open to some criticism; especially when the only criticism I am offering is centered around factual numbers.

My final thought...If Crutcher was the Junior, and Crosby was the freshman...what would the conversation be? I think people would be losing their minds Crosby is starting. People feel Crosby should be entitled to play because he is a junior. I'm sorry, but no. Play the best player. If some 5* PG commits to UD this summer and he gives us the best chance to win, play him day 1. Too much on the line to worry about people's feelings.

EDIT: You said no good manager publically embarrasses people. Did you ever see the manager (coach) of our team the last few years? Archie would verbally undress guys up and down the court! He didn't give a flying F, he would yell and 'embarrass' those guys every night. And what came of it? 4 straight NCAA births and he's now coaching an elite program.

Last edited by 224; 12-01-2017 at 12:15 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-01-2017), FLYER5 (12-01-2017)