Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 04:39 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by THirt View Post
Auburn.

I think it depends what your goals are... UD’s goal has been to craft a non conference schedule which will put us in position to get an at large NCAA bid if we perform well. Last year was a transition year but outside of that, the schedule has been a rousing success. Again, if your goal is to make the NCAA tournament. If your goal is to play as many name opponents as possible then uh, yeah, it hasn’t been all that great. But the Tulsa game is a very creative way to get a good neutral site game. I bought my two tickets last week when they went on sale.

We got four straight at-large NCAA bids with our scheduling model. If you think that is a disaster, um, you’re just wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
The schedule was a success because we were able to win the 1 or (at most) 2 games we needed to secure an at-large bid. Two of those four years by the skin of our teeth no less. And, oh by the way, this all occurring when we were on the best four-year run of this program's history. 11-seeds, skin of our teeth, supposedly the best years of our history. I guess that's perspective folks.

If you are saying the schedule strategy is good for the end goal, yes, that has been a success. However, at some point, fans get sick of seeing the same mediorce big conference teams year in and year out. If we have to play Auburn one more time, I will puke. They finished 11th in the SEC last year. If that excites you, um then you're just plain wrong.

When other non-major programs started having significant success (see Xavier at the time, Gonzaga, Wichita State) they were able to schedule major players on the road, neutral or occassionally at home. I'm sick of hearing the sob stories from the athletic department about no one wants to play us. Try harder. Go on the road like we did years ago when we played Duke and UNC back-to-back and were competitive. Teams are rewarded for this - I'm not saying go out and play top 5 teams on the road all the time, but I'm tried of the mediocrity around schedules.

Those with season tickets, raise your hand if you were excited with more than 2 games that were on the slate this year....... Outside of URI and VCU, pretty pretty pretty thin. If that's a rousing success, I might be following the wrong team. I understand the argument of manipulating the schedule to slant and favor your weaker program to win games in order to "earn" an NCAA bid. However, in order to elevate the program, don't always play around with the ****ants. Do us a favor and walk up to the biggest douche on the playground and take a swing at them please Neil.

By these viewpoints to my original message, it's clear the vast majority of fans here are content skirting by, playing the system and sweating on Selection Sunday. In order to be great, play with the greats.

Last edited by Buster Goode; 06-06-2018 at 04:42 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dillomernda (06-06-2018), ud2 (06-06-2018)