User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
A lot to unpack after that incredibly disappointing loss. As noted above, however, the Flyers still control their own destiny. While there are a number of areas that need to be cleaned up, there isn't a team on their schedule that they can't beat. In fact, I watched a bit of the San Diego game and, while it will be a challenge, that team is beatable.

Having had the chance to look at the stats, there are a few things that jumped out:

1. While I agree that the offense continues to be too conservative, it's tough to put to much blame on that side of the ball for this game. The offense: (i) put up 28 pts.; (ii) ran up 431 total yds. and averaged 5.9 yds./play; (iii) dominated time of possession, including a 19:04 to 10:56 advantage in the 2nd half.

2. Again, while the fumbling/turnover issue really needs to be corrected, that also had very little impact on the outcome of this game. The Flyers fumbled 3 times, but only lost 1. They also had one interception, but no points were scored following either turnover.

3. Apologies for stating the obvious, but the issue in this game was giving up big plays. MSU averaged an incredible 42+ yds. on its scoring plays, with 4 of the 5 coming from 38, 52, 60 and 55, respectively.

4. The primary issues I saw that led to the big plays were: (i) the inability to consistently put pressure on the QB with only the 4 down lineman; (ii) some incredibly bad pursuit angles in the defensive secondary; (iii) mental errors in coverage.

The good news is that all of the issues above are fixable. I believe the players (and coaches) will rally, and we will see a focused and determined team next Saturday.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (09-24-2017), Columbia Blue (09-25-2017), Flyer Gramps (09-25-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-24-2017), NEOFlyer (09-25-2017), Showme Flyer (09-24-2017)