Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 08:51 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I understand what you are saying here, but there's something that doesn't add up. Why would a kid sit out a year, play, and then bolt? Especially a kid with name recognition, a body frame to add to, and flashes of skills. So I'll accept that you have direct, unfiltered information confirming Kostas was a bad egg. He could have gone this route a few years ago. The only difference is a change in coaches and likely philosophies.

I'm not sure how you could spin this as a positive for the coach or the university.
He came here under the pretense of playing for AM with what AM and his staff did years prior. I think that is pretty clear and a pretty convincing reason for him to come here for a year and sit out. On top of that he had access to development, coaching, training, etc. You get what I am saying.

I spoke ran into someone last week that passed on this nugget which is nothing new. AG comes here and it is off to a rocky start to begin with. KA stays overseas instead of being at UD to work on what he needs to work on. Get's injured. Doesn't appear to buy in to what AG is selling in comparison to AM. AG doesn't care that he has the potential he has, attitude and buy in trumps potential skill. He doesn't get the PT he thinks he deserves early on. KA says the hell with academics for the most part...writing on the wall the last month of the season that KA is going to leave...his playing time the last few weeks of the season increases. Why? Possibly to keep him here? We will never know.

So, I agree that a change in coaches and philosophy may have been the final straw. But I see a player that is hyped to be the next big thing and AG doesn't allow him to be on his own program with not buying in. AG proves to the team and other players that it doesn't matter how good you are, if you aren't on board with what he is selling (even if you would be the better player on the floor), you aren't playing in order to set the tone for years to come. As a coach or boss, if you let people get away with things early it impacts the next group of people to come into your organization.

In my opinion everything adds up. KA doesn't need UD at this point in his career. He didn't want to be in school or class. He didn't want to put up with the new sheriff in town. He can go overseas right now and earn a paycheck without the added responsibility. KA needed 2 years of development from a physical standpoint. It didn't matter if it was Dayton, Duke, or Wittenberg...he needed to physically develop. He has the physical tools and now he can refine those elsewhere without the demands and requirements of being a student. If I don't need the degree, then why stay? I am willing to bet those giving him advice probably said the same thing...go somewhere...anywhere...get a couple years to physically develop a bit and do whatever needs to be done to go pro. In every one of those instances, he doesn't need a college basketball program to get there.

Last edited by shocka43; 03-24-2018 at 08:53 AM..
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (03-24-2018), IAFlyer (03-26-2018), JimBo (03-24-2018), jumpin' joe (03-24-2018), Radar (03-24-2018), Runnin' Rebel (03-24-2018), Sea Bass (03-24-2018), THirt (03-24-2018), Viperstick (03-25-2018)