Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Brew...you mention making the revenue sports like the non-revenue...no one cares about the non-revenue sports. In the scheme of things, the non-revenue sports are there for posturing (such as UD wanting a overall good athletic reputation for conference affiliation). Some of the non-revenue sports are there for quite a bit of Title compliance. No one is making noise because a women's shot put athlete transferred from UD to some other school with women's track and field. A star running back from tOSU transfers to Florida...that's an entirely different level of importance to certain schools/programs/players/revenue.

Sorry, but trying to justify the change with the guarantee that some selected GPA is going to keep the process honest doesn't hold water.

We see athletic powerhouses getting away/trying to get away with with academic fraud issues frequently. A 2.6 at UD isn't the same as a 2.6 at another institution. So that is a rather arbitrary number depending on the school you are at.

I would keep the 1 year of sitting out and remove the requirement that you be released by your university. Therefore it is still the student athlete's choice, but there is a little skin in the game...you have to sit a year and miss out on doing what you want to do. I want the students to be in control but I don't want it to be a free for all either. GPA's are irrelevant. Keep a minimum GPA across the entire country regardless of the player being a transfer, traditional, online, girls rowing, or men's basketball player. I don't what there to be an incentive for college coaches and programs to work together to buck the system. Coach A tells player B...Go play for my buddy down the road and when a scholly frees up next year you can come back to me. There are plenty of shifty coaches that would take on a one year player if it was someone they didn't have a chance at in the first place. I am not a fan of rules being put in place that have a chance at further separating the competitive balance among DI programs. Don't want to sit out a year...Go to DII or DIII.