Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 11:37 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Their celeb names are exactly my point. The experts were wrong on Larkin. During and after his initial contract he showed very little. His name carried him to 5 years. Maybe if his name was Shane Antetokounmpo he would get another 5. My point is names count for more than they should, whether it be the initial draft, contract, or extension. The name can buy time and money.

But it's also wrong to blame the kid. It's a sports phenomenon.
Shane Larkin didn't get 5 years in the league because his dad was a good shortstop 20 years ago. I suppose next your're going to tell me all of the ACC coaches voted him ACC player of the year as a Sophomore because they are all huge Reds fans.

Teams bring him in because they think he can play a role with them. It isn't more complicated than that.

Did Kostas get more attention going into college because of his last name? Absolutely.

Did Kostas get a combine invite because of his last name? Sure seems like it.

Did he get drafted because of his last name? No. Teams aren't in the business of wasting draft assets because they like a guys name. They knew they were drafting something you can't teach. They are hoping they can teach him the rest.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (06-25-2018), m21eagle45 (06-25-2018)