Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2022, 09:49 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,429 Times in 754 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Isn’t the semi-pro option the G League? Attendance and TV revenue are driving factors. I’m not sure that the G League buck is doing much banging. I’m a fan of high level amateur or low level professional play. If anyone wants to see great hockey, go to an OHL game. I prefer Dayton Dragons games to the Reds. Even if the Reds were playing great baseball, I would still enjoy a Dragons game. Football and basketball haven’t seen a similar option. I think it would be exciting if the G League and the USFL were able to meaningfully provide young players a spring board to pro success. It would be great if they were a pond for high draft picks. It would work in conjunction with college sports. I know it’s not the same level, but it works in hockey. The best players who do not want to play in college go to the OHL (players lose their college eligibility because they receive stipends). The best players who want to play college hockey play in the USHL (the OHL is Canadian major juniors; the USHL is the highest junior play in the States). They co-exist well. College hockey is at a much higher point now than most know. There are now many 1st round picks coming out of colleges. With so many more basketball and football players, they would be able to coexist in the US.

Fwiw, I admit that I have conflicting views on the ways to maintain the college game and development of players. So, please don’t bother with pointing out any hypocrisy in anything I’ve posted on this topic. I am taking a real shotgun approach.
Posted via Mobile Device