Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 10:58 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
Flyer98, I was specifically saying that there are players who play for the love of the game. That doesn’t exclude the possibility of having the pro dream. This isn’t exclusive to diii or club teams. Walk-ons don’t have a realistic shot at being paid to play. They may have an outside shot at earning a scholarship at best. Still, they play a game that makes their education significantly harder. They would not do that if they weren’t playing for the love of the game.

You should not confuse the love of the game with not caring about results. Part of the love of the game is the love of competition. It’s odd that people believe an 18 year old high school player will play with no expectation of future money or scholarship but a 19 year old plays only for money, fame, and notoriety. It’s odd that people believe that money is the sole goal while the Olympics still has competitors that make very little if anything in their sport. Playing and winning is a powerful motivator.

Nothing here should be seen as suggesting that athletes should not be able to receive some form of payment. I do think that there has to be some allowance for NIL earnings. I’ve long held this belief. I also believe it’s reasonable to monitor, manage, and limit any payments.
Posted via Mobile Device

I could not agree more.

Think of it in your profession. How many people do you know who do it for the money? Not many. They burn out quickly. People do their jobs because they have a passion for it, whatever it is. The ones who don't are miserable.

Think about the people who run, or cycle, or play in a men's softball league. Have you ever played men's softball?? Fights break out constantly at those games, and it's a non-contact sport. Why? Because humans like to compete, and they like to WIN. They're not doing it for the NIL money.