Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 03:28 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Perhaps the coaching mistake was playing the bench at all b/c they were the ones giving up. When players come off the bench and in the first 30 seconds on the court repeatedly get torched for driving layups at the top of the key or cough the ball up -- they've lost all editorial license to make a case for themselves for more PT.

At what point does the inexcusable become intolerable? I think AG is giving us a hint. Whether that's a good coaching tactic moving forward in building a program or a short-sighted one -- I have no idea. Over the next 3-4 seasons I will find out.

There is no such thing as punishing a player with more playing time. Both teams were gassed. Both benches were useless. The guys we rolled with were rewarded by staying out on the court. As tired as they were it was also the ultimate coaching compliment. Any athlete worth his/her salt wouldnt digest it any other way or have it any other way.
Oh boy. So now we have 4 problem players. Maybe five if Svoboda is part of it. I'm going to be attacked on this one for sure, but when half your team isn't listening, hustling, etc... to the point you are cementing them all to the bench, I think it's time to look in the mirror. One or two problems creep into a program occasionally but this is ridiculous. Either he's causing this dissension or he's not handling it properly. I don't care if they're his recruits or not. He talked to them in the offseason and from the results, all of them bought in so he should be thankful for that and can't say they resent him because he's not AM. Yes there was a hiccup with Crosby but that was supposedly settled. If now they're all turning their backs on the coach by not playing for or listening to him, there was a huge disconnect between what presented to them and what he actually did with them.

I don't remember this ever happening with the Flyers previously and cannot accept that this is one of those flukes where our very successful former coach who never found himself down to so few of active players because they were all loafing happened to leave 3 recruits and 2 juniors that happen to have that kind of character flaw.

You're getting real close to the point of saying "They're all a bunch of loafers that won't listen to the coach and it's not the coaches fault." Try explaining to your boss that's why you can't meet goals, because half your staff won't listen to you. Yeah, that would go over real well for you.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (02-04-2018)