Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 11:40 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
The money at stake -- millions and literally billions -- is what drives my insistence on transparency in this entire redux of the RPI to the NET. Im not sure I have ever seen ESPN's Power Index formula but it might be out there. I know I have never see Sagarin's. He has all kinds of variations including Elo Chess, etc. Ken Pomeroy may publish his offensive and defensive efficiency formulas somewhere in the corners of his web site, but I have not scoured for them. If all of these third-party tools now being used OFFICIALLY in conjunction or as an insertion into the NET, all of them must come clean on arithmetic if they have not already done so.

There is too much money involved for there to be any secrets among the number crunchers that ask all member NCAA schools to take their fairness and objectivity at face value. The Power-5 schools, the conference TV networks, and CBS Sports are in this to control the chess pieces as much as possible and make profits hand over fist. Profit motive oftentimes makes otherwise good people consciously or subconsciously slant the playing field of fair play in ways that are hard to detect above the waterline.

And since all those participating in the NCAA tourney are NCAA members -- many of them funded by public taxpayers -- they have a right to act as auditors of the auditors of objectivity. Without that check-and-balance, the speculation of corruption will collapse the confidence the system is attempting to provide.

We already know the NCAA makes occasional calculation mistakes because we've had to correct them on it several times over the years. I presume the other third party metrics are not infallible and make occasional mistakes too. If nothing else, openness ensures we can correct the obvious oversights like these. But it also guarantees there's no deep-state collusion or favoritism or bias baked into the cake. With the kind of money schools are capable of making with deep NCAA tourney runs, brand awareness, and merchandising, there's no room for speculation of any kind. If the NCAA more or less stays hush on all of these metrics, its like admitting facts not in evidence into the courtroom.

We want to see the arithmetic formulas. All of them. You told us what you're doing, now tell us how you're doing it.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (08-23-2018), cj (08-23-2018), CvilleFlyer (08-23-2018), flyerfanatic86 (08-23-2018), FlyingArrow (08-24-2018), frisco flyer (08-23-2018), rollo (08-23-2018), Runnin' Rebel (08-23-2018), Sea Bass (08-23-2018), TA111 (08-23-2018), The Fly (08-23-2018)