Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,878 Times in 6,982 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
The ref feels compelled to blow the whistle if you fall down (sorry rollo, it's true).
When I first started reffing in '92-93, we were told in classes that if there was a collision (block/charge) to call something every time! Right or wrong, just call something.

Somewhere between then and now, flopping became a strategy that coaches taught their players. To address this, one of the more important pre-game discussions most competent officials have together is the 'if someone goes down, know how they got there'...meaning don't call a flop. If you pay attention, you wouldn't believe the number of so-called 'charges' that are flops. I bet >50% of defenders start falling before getting touched...which only gives the ref the power to ignore what would have been a charge or make it a 'block' since the falling defender is not in a legal guarding position.

Last month I had a kid flop during a scrimmage and the player driving to the basket pulled up 5' from him...my partner 'T' him up for faking/flopping a charge! It was awesome! You'll never see that in a real game, but wouldn't it be nice?!

Last edited by rollo; 12-07-2017 at 12:01 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-07-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (12-07-2017), Gazoo (12-07-2017)