Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 02:15 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I would think the Big East would be attractive to many UConn fans at first blush, it was their home for a long time, plus I'm sure there is a decent amount of indifference to their football program. However, the Big East of today isn't the Big East of the late 80s to early 90s when UConn grew from just "another program" into a top tier power basketball school. Syracuse is gone, Georgetown is no longer the monster it was in the mid 80s to early 90s, playing SJU in the Garden is nice for the Garden, but SJU hasn't been all that relevant in forever. They've added great programs in XU, Creighton and Butler, but I'm sure many of their fans just consider those more fodder from fly over country. Its a step up from the AAC, but its not a huge step up. It gives them a stronger foot hold on the east coast where I'm sure they draw an overwhelming majority of their student base from, but in terms of basketball its not significantly better that you'd give up the dream of power 5 football and the ACC or Big 10. If they give up on football now, they'll never see the likes of those conferences, even if their inclusion seems contingent on either the Big 12 breaking apart and Texas/Oklahoma making a move, or Notre Dame deciding to house their football program permanently in either the ACC or B10.

I don't know where expansion talks are headed or who is up for consideration, but I'm sure it raised a few eyebrows in the Big East when the AAC added Wichita St. If there is a desire to move to 11 teams and a 20 game round robin, they now realize that the AAC is willing to add non football schools to strengthen its basketball and any future expansion will likely involve teams that the Big East would consider as their 11th (or 12, 13th, etc..) team.