Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 05:19 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
I don't blame or fault him for anything, that is what you fail to understand. But it is business, it certainly was to him. I just don't get the love fest and desire to crown him the savior of UD basketball. Do you think OKC fans wrote glowing thank yous to KD when he moved on to what he perceived to be greener pastures? Heck no! Russell Westbrook won't even talk to him. I don't hate Archie I just think his bank account and current job reflect all the thank he is owed by UD and it's fans.
You don't see the "love fest and desire to crown him the savior of UD basketball". That's fine. Nobody sees eye to eye with everyone else on a player or coach or anything for that matter. But why question it? I for one look at it as that UD basketball has a storied history and AM is now a huge part of that history. And while history takes many years to be able to judge, he has firmly put himself in this storied history as one of the 3 most successful coaches. There's no shortage of love fest for the other 2. The fact I've had to wait almost 50 years for this string of successes we've had under AM should be answer enough as to why there's a heavy admiration for what he accomplished here.

The only reason I can think of that there's almost a polar opposite feeling toward AM is that some of us expected this to happen sometime soon and others felt that UD was so great of a place to coach that nobody in their right mind would take another coaching job elsewhere. Somehow that sentiment wasn't there when OP and BG left, my guess is because it was AM himself that made UD a much better job than it was before(not saying it wasn't a special job then, just that it's better now).

What I really don't like about this talk about leaving the cupboard bare is that it sets up for apologists for AG if things don't work out. The biased of him being an alumni is most likely going rare it's head a lot in the future. If AG goes 5 years without any string of success, there's going to be group on here that says "it's AM's fault for leaving when he did and AG is doing the best he can with the situation he was left with".