Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 10:20 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
2. Archie did a lot for our program. And his success is his reward, IU is flat out a better job.
3. However, that ship has sailed. I don't get rooting for IU just because AM coaches there. He is a big boy. He is not your nephew. You are a Flyer Fan. He wants our recruits and vice versa.
Although I was sad to see AM go, it was mainly due to the fact that any coaching change whether the HC leaves for a new position or he/she is asked to leave, brings with it a ton and a half of uncertainty.

Need to remember that this job is a career in a business that rewards well IF you have success. It also is a position that as HC one needs to have some hubris within themselves to stay in that type of job. Always looking for the next challenge to overcome. AM certainly had a few challenges in his stay here. #1. Taking on a HC job, 2. The year of the True Team, etc.

However it seemed to me that Archie lost some focus at the end of his last 2 seasons here. I caught or perceived a slight distance in his public appearances before and after games. It may have been me but that just sticks out in my memory ...

Although we would like to think that all our coaches are "Flyers Forever" of the most recent ones we have had (Purnell, Gregory, and now Archie) of the first 2, BG would be most connected to UD. Purnell seemed to be in "career mode" where ever he went and again that's OK. I believe BG truly thought this place was special. It is too soon for me to think/say that Archie has that type of connection. I know this: One item that he will carry around with him is that "team I will always remember". I believe that connection to the seniors that just left allowed Archie to see that this was a good time to leave. Since it was to be a year of transition for the team why not see himself in transition also? Had the IU job not opened, I believe we would still have Archie here. But we don't and I'm fine with that too.

I see Anthony Grant as THE HC with the "Flyer Forever" mode. And I think we all can agree that that an't such a bad thing!

Go Flyers!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (11-13-2017), Flyer 86 (11-13-2017)