Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 10:18 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Answers....

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Two points: Does it look like the A-10 will ever shape up or downsize? They've had plenty of time to do so. Also, how were the Big East basketball schools hurt?
Second first: I think the Big East was a special case. It was a highly prominent BB power conference for years. There aren't five schools in the A10 that have the cache of the BE BB schools. They were in the drivers seat and could pick and choose the cream of the crop to join them. Just think about how UD was clamoring to join with the BE BB schools...still is.

No one is falling all over themselves to join the AAC. And I don't think the AAC wants a hybrid conference for the reasons I stated previously. WSU was a special exception for the AAC...a chance to really strengthen BB. Frankly, I don't think the AAC would view UD in the same light as it did WSU. Also, WSU is a better institutional fit with AAC than is Dayton.

The BB core of the A10 is solid and strong....usually a multi-bid league. You pose the question about shaping up. And that's a good one. I have urged Chris to explore this with Neil and get some facts. Schools like UD, SLU, SJU, VCU, URI are serious about BB....might add Bona and Richmond, even UMass. There are only a few that give strong indication that they do not consider BB a priority...as evidenced by their second (third) rate facilities. If a school refuses to invest in decent facilities it is telling the conference something. Indeed, it's disrespectful.

Maybe Neil would explain why that doesn't matter to Dayton's main goal...regular NCAAs. I'd like to know why it doesn't matter. Explain it to me.

If it does matter...if consistently weak conference members hurt the NCAA chances of schools that do care...why aren't the "cares" doing something about it? We are in the process of making the largest single facility investment in the history of the university...Arena renovation. Are we to believe that the lack of any reasonable investment by the likes of LaSalle, Fordham...has no impact at all on us? Maybe it doesn't. I'd just like to understand why.

So, does it look as if the A10 will ever downsize of shape up? No, I guess it doesn't. But I'd like to know why?

I'm exposed to a lot of AAC news. For sure the stuff coming from the AAC commissioner is all about improvement. Being a FB conference, money is the driver behind the focus on improvement. The AAC refers to itself as Power 6...and it's FB performance backs that up and is getting even better.

I see only two things shaking up the conference world again: 1) The Big 12 finally decides it really does need two or four more schools; 2) One of the Power 5 conferences concludes there would be even more money by going to 16 schools; and it raids one of the other Power conferences. I would really love to see that...love it! Either scenario would change the ball game again, possibly affecting Dayton. Meanwhile we need a better A10.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (02-02-2018)
Advertisement