Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 08:21 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,524 Times in 778 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
What is killing me is the question of Ostrum. I wish someone in the media would get an answer from him or Grant on whether there's a chance he stays. They are old friends. Is that enough? Does he want to be Associate Head Coach at UD? Will he have that position offered to him at IU? Or does Ostrum want to try to be a head coach somewhere? Inquiring minds want to know. Keeping him would take this from a great hire to an amazing hire.

Regarding the search, I read that they were only interested in people who saw UD as a destination job. And i'm sorry, but there are very few people outside of those who have gone to dayton or played for dayton who would ever view that as the last stop. Any decent younger coach will want to come here, make a mark and then test the waters in a bigger pond. That's just the way college hoops is now.

It's great that AG has the resume and is a the point in his life where he may be happy to make this his last stop on the coaching train if he's successful.

But there aren't many viable coaches out there who could honestly say that they wouldn't look elsewhere 5 years down the road if they achieved the level of success archie has. Not unless the landscape of hoops changed somehow and/or we somehow got into a better conference.
I think Ostrum is the key. If he stays and can convince our current recruits to stay, we have a fighting chance next year and can more easily build the program without much interruption. Who knows, maybe Ostrum is promoted to Associate Head Coach and is told he will no.1 on the list when AG moves on - which could be a long way off, though.

BTW - thanks for validating my destination job comment. My comment was not a slam on AG, but a realistic observation.