Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
I don't see the that news any different than the "star" system. I'm not blinded by a 4 star recruit, but wouldn't you rather have that than 3?
Absolutely. I do seem to recall less informed fans (not you) in years past thinking the McDonald's nomination was unprecedented so just wanted to put it out there, that it's an honor that a ton of former flyers have reached. But to your point, yes -- more stars and more accolades is always nice. Do not disagree at all.

While we should trust in Archie's evaluation, Dayton is definitely getting much higher regarded talent than we were pulling in a decade ago. Archie > BG in terms of evaluation and coaching, but it's not like we've moved from 4 star to 3 star territory. We're still pulling mostly 3 star guys as we were with BG. Just getting the right 3 star guys now. But back in the Purnell days, we'd always sign at least one well off the radar guy no one had even thought to evaluate...

So that's why you might recall a few eyebrows were raised when Dayton signed Ryan Mikesell. A bit of an anomaly for Miller as most scouting services didn't rank him, but look at him now he could be the best in his class. Wouldn't be the first time of course that the most under-evaluated player in a recruiting class turned out to be the best. Off the top of my head: Pierre, Devin Oliver, Brian Roberts, Waleskowski, Charles Little, Monty Scott all fit that description.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-12-2017)