Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 11:54 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
I posted a break down of Dennis Felton vs. Anthony Grant here
http://udpride.com/forums/showpost.p...&postcount=321

I look at bringing in the #6 recruiting class in the country and then getting fired speaks to something going wrong there.

As far as the Ken Pom. That's one data point. I look at his record and what happened at Alabama. The SEC was the weakest power 5 conference when has there. Mark Gottfried did better at Alabama than Anthony did his tenure by a wide margin. Alabama isn't an Auburn that's been a complete black hole. To explain away his time there as "it's a football school doesn't hold water"

In a weak SEC he had a losing record in conference play his last two years. Years 5 & 6 with his guys.

I've post various break downs of the coaches I like in various threads around here. I wrote a novel about John Brannen
Kenpom, Sagarin, KPI, etc. are all good advanced metric tools that normalize for competition, location of games, etc. Very good predictive value of how good a team is and whether that team will win going forward.

Felton and Grant are not coaching in the same universe.

From 2002 to 2009 (kenpom only starts in 2002), Felton had an average kenpom ranking of #104 with a range of #44 to #205 finishing his 6th and final year at Georgia with a kenpom ranking of #198! Felton at Georgia had kenpom rankings of 76, 205, 107, 55, 91, and 198.

Grant's average rating at VCU/Bama was #58 with a range of #26 to #86 finishing his 6th and final year at Alabama with a kenpom ranking of #55. Grant at Alabama had kenpom rankings of 63, 51, 26, 63, 86, and 55.

OSU Flyer, with all due respect, Grant is a materially better coach than Felton. I would argue Felton statistically is about as close to Anthony Grant as Anthony Grant is to Roy Williams.

Last edited by ruechalgrin; 03-30-2017 at 11:56 PM..
Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (03-31-2017)