User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2016, 10:16 AM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerBob View Post
Interesting how 4 star Darryl Morsell is following us. Do we dare hope? The experts are all predicting he goes with Maryland…. BUT we have Archie and his fine coaching staff, we offered before MD, his OV on 10/21 is after his MD visit, and Darryl was here last June so it must have made a good impression on him such that he’s returning a 2nd time. We’re so different than MD that we make a distinct & perhaps a very attractive alternative.
I have been following the recruiting of DM for a couple months now pretty closely. I don't know why I have a good feeling about him, but I do. Largely I think it's because he was ranked 110+ a year ago and is now top 60 on many sites. Late bloomer, hard worker, underrated -- seems like the kid we can really get behind. He has been "following us" because AM and his staff have been "following him" for awhile. It's a good sign IMO. Any kids we land will be his future teammates for 4 years. So to say we are putting together a mob, is great!

Also, the "experts" (at least on 247) consist of just 3 people right now -- 2 of which are MD basketball writers. So I'd hope they'd be picking MD. Take that with a huge grain of salt.

Second, an article came out last week discussing the different schools recruiting him - MD, VaTech, UD, ND and Nova. Interestingly, UD is the only school of those 5 that currently isn't doing an in-home visit. Can we read into that? I don't know. Does AM think we are out and an in-home visit is a waste of time? Does AM feel we are in and it's a waste of time? UD was one of the first schools on him, so if the only point is to talk anout vision and build rapport, presumably AM has done that. MD took their team bus to his house on his in home visit-they put on a big spectacle. Can you see AM doing that? I can't. I would bet if you asked AM about putting on a big show like that, he would ask how does that make him a better basketball player and student athlete?

DM said MD biggest pitch is the ability for him to play close to home. He said that has been their biggest angle. So if that's what he wants to do, be the 'home town' kid, then no one can compete.

DM said Novas staff was on him late and they're still building rapport. Obviously they won the championship last year and have tremendous history, but may be late to the dance.

DM said VaTech and coach Buzz Williams is "one of a kind". He seems to be intrigued by the style and energy they bring.

DM said ND staff has an assistant from his high school, which is how it all started. He's still getting to know staff and has never been to campus, so he's excited to see what it is all about.

Then there's us. I like our chances. He scheduled his OV with us last (still has yet to schedule an OV with VaTech) and scheduled during blue and red game weekend. He has said he will commit when it feels right -- could be this weekend, next month, February. If we can make it to Oct 22 and he's still available, then I love our chances!
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (09-14-2016), FLYER5 (09-14-2016), flyerfanatic86 (09-14-2016), Ready Action (09-14-2016), Runnin' Rebel (09-14-2016)