Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 04:19 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
My previous post also leads me to question the issue of whether AM left the cupboard bare for the incoming coach. That is his current set of players were not on a par with the recruits that had graduated. Based on who these players were prior to matriculating to UD I would believe that we would say that AM had improved his recruiting. That is was the cupboard bare as in devoid of talent or was it just that the talent was under-developed?

So if you had a choice which recruit would you take?

1. PG Schooch vs the Minnesota PG. The Minnesota PG came in more highly touted but I would still give the edge to Schooch just because he is from New York City an they know how to grow great PGs there.

2. 2 Guard, Davis displayed hustle and speed and from Chicago but was undersized for the position and had no outside shot. Versus JD who is taller an has a decent outside shot, Recruiting edge to JD

3. Forward, an unknown player, Pieere, from Canada or a highly touted local recruit as Rollo might say a man's man in Trey Landers. Most on this board would prefer Trey.

4. Forward, A player from a good team in Chicago but not a star and undersized for the power forward position versus Xeryius again a highly touted local recruit. Most on this board would say take Xeryius.

If you want you can switch Xeryius to the small forward spot with Trey as they seem to be more adept at those roles.

5. Bench: Davis vs Kostas Who would not prefer, if you had a choice of just one, that it be Kostas as opposed to Davis.

6. Certainly the New Center that AM had recruited was going to be a project even if he had a good attitude and work ethic, and Carter was expected to be a project and the Czech would need a year to learn how to play american ball but then AM had no center and no bench beyond one for his best year. Edge by default goes to the new recruits.

Didn't Pierre graduate the season before Archie left?

Schoochie was the man, and a perfect fit at UD. Wright was considered a top 50 player at the start of the season and considered a future NBA PG. I haven't followed Colorado much, but IIRC he was struggling with his shot early on. Where he is now, I don't know, but you can't really compare many frosh but the 1 and dones to the Senior Schooch, Scooch will win every time. Perhaps McKinley get there over 2-3 seasons; McKinley had a much better frosh season at CU than Schooch did here. Crutch is very similar to Schooch in my mind, even in their progression over their first 2 seasons; I think Crutch may be a shade better, mostly from the perimeter than Schooch was as a soph. We'll call this a push

Darrel Davis (who I assume you meant) was from Detroit vs Jordan Davis. Jordan is more physical than Darrel ever was, but either way he was an Archie recruit so can't give AG credit for that one.

Charles Cook vs who? Trey was an Archie recruit, as was Chips.

Pollard vs Obi... I love Pollard, loved him. Obi has NBA potential that Kendal could only dream of. Kendal was a great college player, but his frame was always going to make the league a dream. Obi has a real shot. Advantage CAG.

Josh vs who? Too early to compare Josh to anyone that CAG has brought in.

Bench: Kyle Davis vs ????

Did Archie leave the cupboard bear? It was going to be tough for Archie, or any coach for that matter to replace the winning-est class in school's history. However Archie left a ton of "headaches" behind. Matej, Kostas, Jordan Pierce, X, Crosby...Don't exactly see anyone wishing they were still around. I'll take Crutch, Obi and Cohill over that group every day of the week; next season is the real litmus test of CAG. A full team, all either his recruit or been around long enough to "get with the program" and be "his players" May have as much talent as any team UD has had in a long time, will CAG be able to lead them to the NCAA? Anything short of that feels like a failure at this point looking forward. But lets enjoy this season first, see how they develop and what kind of potholes the offseason brings the program.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (02-01-2019)