Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: 2017-18 season
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
If we make the NIT next year, I'll still be happy. There, I said it. I'm not changing my expectations. I've always expected that we should make the dance 3 years out of 4 and make a Sweet 16 one out of 4 years. After years of disappointment I'm not going to change my expectations just so I can stay disappointed. We've arrived. I'm going to enjoy it. If we get more than that, that's gravy. I'd be excited to see more, but I'm not going to be upset if we merely meet that expectation.

On paper, next year will be the most "down" year. Only 1 senior and 6 freshmen. I hope we make the dance next year, and I expect to make the dance the following 3 years (with at least 1 Sweet 16 in there). But if any year is going to be a rough one, it looks like it will be next year.

For individual players, I have pretty high expectations for X, Cunningham, and Kostas. We need another two to be solid contributors, plus another 3 or 4 decent role players. Unfortunately, the other veterans are only in the "decent role players" category: RM, Crosby, Miller, DDavis. Trey Landers didn't even reach that category this year. We don't usually expect much from freshmen, but somebody has to step up. We need at least a couple good role players out of the freshman class, and from either the freshmen or the veterans a couple of them need to step up their game to fill the shoes of the graduating seniors.

If I had to guess, I'll go with starting lineup: Crosby, DDavis, Kostas, Williams, Cunningham. And first four off the bench: Miller, RM, Wright (need another PG), Pierce (need size for defense)

But, really, the minutes are all wide open. Absolutely every player on the roster has a chance to earn 25 minutes a night. (Except possibly Trey Landers... have to think he'd have been getting at least 5-10 mpg if he were in line for possible starter minutes as a sophomore.)