User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 09:57 PM
Captain

Sticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
He should have fouled since we had one to give, no doubt. And I was screaming for it. But the way we hit the offensive boards (which is to say not at all), I’m not sure I would have fouled to put them at the line. The old hit-the-first-miss-the-second-on-purpose strategy might have been a killer.
No doubt we should have fouled given that we had one to give - that was a mistake by Coach Grant. And the analytics say that we should've then fouled again to put them at the line as long as there was less than 6 or 7 seconds left in the game. But the analytics aren't as strong as they once were - teams practice missing that second free throw and they also anticipate the foul in an effort to get a shot up and draw three free throws. I'm with The Fly on this one - as bad as we are at rebounding, I think I would've gone against the analytics in this case.

The other key is to not foul too early. My mind is failing me, but I'm pretty sure we lost a game to LaSalle in the BG era by fouling too early. LaSalle made both, fouled us to put us at the line for a 1-and-1, we missed, and they came down and hit a shot to beat us.

It's a slippery slope - just glad we won the game and hope Coach realizes he made a mistake by not fouling when he had one to give.