Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Clutcher
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 02:08 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,753 Times in 795 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
This was not a knock on JC, but SS was a pure PG to me and JC is more hybrid. Seems when JC doesn't score, he has a bad game, because what makes him so great and crucial for the Flyers is his all around offense more so than his ball handling skills. SS could have a day of scoring minimal points, and still have a great game. Not so with JC. And SS rarely ever faced full court pressure because it was pointless as he could not be trapped. And what's crazy is he could do so at such a slower pace. Methodical pace if you will.

I guess my main reason for putting SS over JC as a pure PG is he was better at not turning the ball over and got the ball past half court in less time because it was pointless(and maybe more dangerous) to full court pressure him. One other thing, SS was also great at using the full 10 seconds to get the ball past half court when we needed to run clock for the same reason.
I didn’t take it as a slam at all. We named our puppy Scoochie a few years ago so we loved him a lot. When Jalen first got here he immediately reminded me of SS so I have been comparing the 2 ever since.

What I’ve hard a time with is separating the aspects you pointed out to not see JC as hands down better because of his more offensive prowess and consistency. What made Scoochie so great (facilitator first) was what made me give Jalen a solid nod. I always felt Scoochie was at times too unselfish - especially when the team needed his scoring.

We didn’t see enough of the Davidson OT type games over the years even though I believe the capability was there more regularly.

Your analysis was great as it allowed me to look at things differently especially in the NBA context of this post. Either way, we have had a great 8 year run with both these guys.

I hope that JC can find a way down the line to live his dream and to do it playing with Obi. He’s been one of the all time great players and representatives of the university.