Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,303 Times in 675 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I didn't see any of the game but checking out the box score, 2 things stood out: (1) only 7 FTs and (2) Why we took so many 3's (33) when we were 13/19 on 2-point shots.

If the inside game is working, abuse it and the foul/FTs follow.

Or was this a function of trailing the entire game and having no other option but to chuck up 3s the entire 2nd half?
Drives to the basket...There were a few, and some of them worked perfectly on the drive and dish. Some others worked with just DD driving to the basket. The last bunch failed with TOs when we lost the handle, so mixed success.

Whenever ODU went zone, we were lost. 4 guys passing around the perimeter. No one at the FT line or attempts to penetrate or pass it to the FT line and then kick out. Instead of just passing on the exterior, we should have been setting more high screens to allow penetration.

The 3PT attempts varied between chuck it up early and heave it up at the last second. Some of the players had success with 3s but others, such as X and Crutcher did not, yet continued to chuck them up. While some 3s were at the end, most of them were not. We just seemed to settle for 3s and outside of DD and JD, not a whole lot went in the basket.

I'm not sure what the offensive strategy is. It isn't like AM, which was often predicated on getting TOs and then moving out fast. Or if it is, it isn't working because our D is horrendous and not generating any TOs. It must not be based on Def rebounding either, because we aren't doing well at that either. And it isn't based on us getting Off rebounds because we have 4 or 5 guys on the perimeter when the shot goes up and then immediately head back on D, although I wouldn't call it Defense, since it's pretty poor.

Not having seen Grant's previous teams, I have no idea if this is similar to VCU and Alabama offenses or if the players aren't getting it, or not gelling because we have so many new parts plus new coach/system, some combination of the above, etc. I do think they'll improve. I just think it's going to be painful at times this year and we'll see some games like Hofstra and ODU that just frustrate the heck out of everyone.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-20-2017)