Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Fire Grant
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2021, 02:00 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
If this were a seasoned group of upper-classmen, I'd be panicked; it isn't, not even close. I lived through the JOB era, why it took the UD administration like 3 years to make the ultimate decision it made is beyond me. Mostly I think it was out of stubbornness to prove that JOB WAS the right hire. At any rate, if there isn't appreciable improvement as the season goes on, the heat will be on by early summer if no improvement by next year, you'll all get your wish. One thing is for certain, AG is no JOB and I'm still betting he turns it all around, maybe at the expense of a few players leaving. I'm a long term hold; AG has proven he can coach and recruit. He doesn't pass, dribble or shoot but I'm certain he'll find the right combination of players that follow the plan. If you all want to jump ship, go ahead.
I really think the JOB years played out as you would expect for a coach being hired and than fired with the results he produced. When Don Donoher left, he had 3 losing seasons in a row for the first time in his career. College basketball was changing and it took it's toll on Donoher's last few seasons. So the Flyers were trending downward. JOB comes in and gets us a conference tourney championship plus an NCAA win in his first season using Donoher's players. It was a senior filled team and when they left, the cupboard was bare. So JOB was given 4 more seasons, the first two that provided the same type of results that got Donoher fired. It was year 4 when we dropped into single digit wins. Maybe he should've been fired then but they gave him one more season to right the ship and again single digit wins. Probably based on his contract, they had to give him that one last season.

I know people think it was all JOB's fault and maybe it was(not sure either way) but what do you think it was that JOB was lacking in? Was it his recruiting or his coaching? I lean more toward his recruiting.