Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
There are at least 300 Div I colleges and at least 300 Div II colleges, plus all of your overseas players. Every year, very very few players make it in the NBA, the number even much smaller straight out of HS. Same for football.

Now, imagine the NBA and/or NFL set up a real minor league system, similar to baseball. There wouldn't be enough positions available for all the college athletes. And don't forget about all the guys who have already graduated but not good enough to currently make a roster. They will take up spots in these minor leagues to. So, significantly fewer spots available for kids coming out of HS who would never be able to afford college, probably at any level. At least an athletic scholarship provides you the opportunity to prepare for a non sport future. I couldn't care less if the value of a scholarship is significantly less than what coaches or an organization/college makes off athletics. It's your opportunity to better yourself for free. If you want to give kids a small stipend so they have a little spending money, I don't have a problem with that. But anything more and I'm very much opposed.
As do all of you, I have many acquaintances who either chose to, or simply couldn't go to college, yet they are very successful. Some are in fields where they essentially became self-made accountants, engineers, etc. They could've chosen college, run up massive student loans, and then spent the first 10 years of their careers paying them off...but they chose a different path...and made it work. It's what you do. None of us should feel entitled, least of all grade school or high school athletes who (and whose parents) choose to dedicate all their resources to specializing in something (a sport) that has a limited lifespan after which they find themselves not able to speak or write in complete sentences. College should not be a guarantee, even if you can run a 4.2 forty or have a 44" vertical. But big $$ says it is. As for basketball, in my opinion nothing short of the NBA dropping the college requirement (or equivalent) is going to cure the NCAA's ills.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (10-12-2017)