Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
What revenue generation and publicity?

Do you even know which school hosted the Final Four this year without looking it up?? If I were to ask you which cities, and more specifically which schools, hosted the NCAA Tournament that ended just three weeks ago, would you even be able to name half of them??

I hear all this talk about the publicity you get for hosting. You get one little itty bitty logo on the floor. It's in a spot that unless you know it's there, you won't even notice that it's there. No one knows who the host schools are. Half the people at the games don't even know who the host schools are. People know who the teams are that are playing, but not who's hosting. Dayton played in Indianapolis. I didn't see one word on this board about who the two hosts were at any point. Do you even know who the two hosts were without looking it up??

I'm not saying this to pick on you. I'm saying it to prove a point. The vast majority of the people at the games probably didn't notice who was hosting. So, there really isn't any publicity.
The Fly addresses many points. Dayton gets plenty of press during the FF games. More so than any other host site. I know the host site was IUPUI...and that is only because I was there and looked. For the FF games, all basketball eyes that care are on the TV watching one game. The later games and site specific mentions are watered down due to a half dozen games being on at any given time. This isn't about a 4 foot x 4 foot logo on the baseline. If the Dayton area had half of the amenities near the Arena that other venues have, the economic impact would be much greater. The current economic impact is greater than shuttering the Arena for the week.

This also isn't about UD itself making millions off of hosting. The area sees a direct financial impact. That is obviously good. Even if it is a wash financially, it is good for UD and the Dayton region.

The "inconvenience" for UD staff to have the arena "tournament ready" is pretty minor in the scheme of things. They have it down to a science. You mention losing money. If Xavier went to host for the first time, they are going to have a ton of costs associated with Cintas meeting the needs of the NCAA. UD meets those needs year in and year out and they sit in the back of a semi in the off season...ready to be put back in place season after season. The reason I say this is that the costs to "re-host" are much less than a venue that has to do it all for the first time. From covering up commercial logos, putting in courtside media seating, having a press room a few feet from the locker rooms, pre-cut carpeting laid all over the "behind the scenes" areas, etc....it is neat undertaking to see...but it isn't as tough for UD to carry out.

The staff that is involved in preparing the arena are typically full time employees, student interns, etc. No extra cost. The workers for concessions are volunteers. Interior security are part time employees of the university and outside security are contract private workers. I would be willing to bet the parking revenue for the FF games covers the hourly employee expenses for the entire week or practices and games. Concession revenue is all UD's. UD also doesn't have to staff the Flight Deck and all of the catering in Boesch is taken care of. There are a ton of hands on deck to make it happen, but not much more in house than the typical UD home game.

I have not once witnessed bad relations between UD staff and NCAA officials making it happen. From television, to radio, to video people, technicians, reporters, statisticians, NCAA big wigs....there is a pretty good relationship. The NCAA knows that they can walk into UD Arena and it will be ready to host and they don't have to babysit.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
The Fly (04-20-2017)