Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 04:13 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
A lesson learned....

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I would jump to the AAC with VCU in a nano-second. Some posters point out that certain AAC schools would leave in a heartbeat if given an invite to a P5 conference (UConn, UC). But that may never happen. The Big 12 just looked at a couple of those schools and decided not to expand. Even if a couple teams left, the AAC would still be better than the A-10. The Big East basketball schools weren't hurt when their conference split occurred. With a nucleus of Wichita State, VCU, and Dayton the AAC would be fine no matter who left. They could attract other GOOD "mid-majors" to join (as the new Big East did), perhaps some of the more serious schools from the A-10. If UD wouldn't join the AAC because they don't have enough in common with those schools, they would be making the same mistake they made back in the 70's.
If the old Big East debacle taught us (and Neil) anything it's that hybrid conferences don't work. The AAC is dominated by football....FB drives the train....and is the money pit for the FB schools. BB-only schools will always be second class citizens in the AAC....incl WSU.

The old Big East turned up its nose at a $2 billion TV deal thinking it could get more. A year later the league was no more. It was fundamentally unstable it didn't seem to realize it.

While I respect you opinion, fan (always do), I think shaping up and possibly downsizing the A10 is a far safer bet with a better chance of success. As I've said, most likely there are angles that none of us appreciate. I think Chris could have Neil enlighten us re the realities.

One last point re the AAC. The AAC describes itself as a Power 6 conference. That's not just self-inflated hype. Those schools have resources and are improving rapidly. The final football polls had three....three...AAC schools in the top 25...one in the top 10. The AAC is on the move and FB drives it. UD doesn't fit, in my opinion.