Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 01:30 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
Hope still springs eternal that Archie and his coaching staff go for a positional recruit. I am voting for a second center on this team. Archie took a risk. Instead of taking a second center, he took Trey Landers. I understand the catch-22 dilemma. Do we take the best available player or do we fill out the class and/or the depth at the positions. With no succession plan at center, we are now facing another year with no center on this team. I suspect that we will be playing two forwards and three guards most of the time. I suspect that 6'7" Cunningham will be our tallest player on the floor, most of the minutes. We'll sub in Sam Miller, Xeryius Williams and Kostas intermittently. But, essentially, we will be small ball this year. If we do not take a second center for next year then we will be one flu-like sniffle or one turned ankle away from small ball next year. I would rather go for a transfer for this year, a transfer for next year or a recruit fir next year who can play center.

Given the above, we better be real good at boxing out for rebounds and really good at running the floor for break-away baskets.
Posted via Mobile Device
IMO you're confusing "small ball" with "no true center". Those aren't the same thing. When your starting center is 6'6", your PF is 6'5", and your backup is 6'4", yes, that's small ball. But when your starting center is 6'7", your PF is 6'6", and you have 2 guys coming off the bench at 6'9"+, and 2 more guys coming off the bench at 6'7" and 6'8", that's something different.

I would call it smallerER ball but I don't consider it small ball, particularly if Sam plays 20 minutes per game off the bench. We'll match up just fine with nearly anyone we play.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
axehandle (09-09-2016), Flyer 86 (09-13-2016), m21eagle45 (09-09-2016)