Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 11:37 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Here are a few of my thoughts. I haven't read swampys yet so hopefully I am not redundant or too contradictory

Outside shooting: Haven't looked at the stats but it seems that all of the newcomers can shoot from long range.

Rebounding: More offensive rebounds than defensive LOTS of work to do here.

Chris Wright: Has improved his ball handling and body control as he hoped for. Chris took the ball to the hoop from the outside with a better handle and when he was cut off he hit someone with a nice pass. He will still get a few charges but is no longer a bull in a china shop

Chris Johnson: Still relying a lot on his outside shooting and went to the hoop once or twice. Oliver did a nice job defending him and it was hard to tell how much CJ has improved his ball handling.

Devin Searcy: Looked pretty good on offense. I don't remember him stopping anyone in the lane on defense but could have missed it. He struggled really bad with free throws, especially early.

Josh Benson: Josh looked more comfortable on offense. He faced his man up on one play and hit a 10' jumper. If he can hit that shot he becomes really tough to guard because he can go around most big guys. I didn't see him cut anyone off in the lane but he came out of nowhere to block a shot from behind.

Paul Williams: I thought Paul looked a little lighter than last year. He didn't do a lot in the game but a bad ankle would explain it.

Matt Kavanaugh: I thought that Matt looked a little lighter than last year. He was 4-4 and had good hands. I don't remember him cutting anyone off in the lane on help defense though. Work to be done there

Luke Fabrizius: A friend of my niece said "Why does everyone hate him so much" thinking that they were booing. Luke did not play well. He actually fouled out in the 2nd quarter. He had three offensive boards but only one defensive board

NEWCOMERS

This is one of the main reasons people come. You want to see how players have improved in the off season but everyone wants to see the incoming players.

Juwan Staten: I had seen Juwan play three times before this and he played just as I expected although he did have three turnovers. Juwan has great handles and great vision. He will create a lot of open jumpers for his teammates and will unselfishly get the ball to them every time. He is quick enough to really create problems against zone defenses. Toward the end Juwan was seriously gassed and took a few minutes to gather himself on the bench.

Devin Oliver: Impressed me right at the very beginning. He played good defense on CJ and showed good handles and good vision. His arms aren't quite a long as CJ but he will remind you of CJ. He will challenge shots on defense and has a great shooting motion. Another BG steal.

Brandon Spearman: He took a few minutes to get comfortable but he played as advertised. He has a very nice shot and drives to the basket under control. They had him guarding Juwan for a while. He looks to be a strong defensive player as advertised.

Josh Parker: Josh played really tough defense. He was 1-3 on three pointers and you know he can do better than that. We are very lucky to have Josh and he will make great contributions while he is here. On the downside he had one assist and five turnovers.

Ralph Hill: I thought he looked just a little tentative early but he is also a good player. He was 2-4 from three point land. His shot doesn't have a lot of arch on it but he has a great shooting motion. I didn't notice Ralph on defense but that might be a good thing

Kevin Dillard: I thought he might be pushing a little bit too much but when you are playing against staten and parker that might be normal. He is a good point/combo guard and will help this team when he gets the chance. He did have six assists with only two turnovers, a better turnover margin than the other point guards

As we were watching the volleyball match there was someone sitting a couple of rows in front of us who is probably a future player or recruit. We talked a little about the volleyball team. Seemed like a very nice guy and great fit for UD. I refrained from asking him if he was a future player and wished I had been a little more nosey later.