Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2021, 07:35 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,110 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
This is really getting strange for Obi. 7 minutes and not one mark on his stat line, good or bad. Hmm.
Obi doesn't even resemble the player he was in Dayton. I think there's a lot going on there in NY. For one, you have a coach who puts nearly all his emphasis on defense and offense is pretty much left to run on its own meaning pass the ball around for 15-20 seconds and whoever has the rock with the shot clock heading to zero, make a 1 on 1 move which may lead to an open pass to a teammate but normally its just a shot from whoever has the ball.

Secondly, Obi's defense is probably the most suspect thing about his game and he's playing behind Randle who is having an unexpected career year. Most of the Knicks offense runs through Randle and when Obi is in for Randle, the offense stalls - then out comes Obi and back in comes Randle.

Thirdly, as a rookie his teammates aren't being very generous with touches (little to any). They have no real point guard, at least one that can execute a pick and roll with Obi - and that's half of his game. While Obi can hit a 3, it's not really his game. The 3's I have seen him take, generally of the variety where time is running quickly to 0 and he's wide open and the only option left so he gets the ball with 1 or 2 seconds left; not a quality look.

I hate to say this but he couldn't have been matched with a more poorly run offense than he did with the Knicks and I really hope he gets packaged in a deal with another team and reboots himself there. It's hard to watch what's going on in NY.
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-23-2021)