Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 01:05 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
I wish Kostas had played another year at Dayton — I think he would have blossomed this year. Failing that, I wish he’d completed the academic year. But neither of those things happened. But he WAS at UD most of two years. He showed flashes of brilliance on the court, and he never said a bad word about his teammates, coaching staff or the university. He posted a gracious farewell to Flyer fans, and he even returned to help out at one of the summer camps. We could have done far worse than with this kid, who by the way still wears Dayton apparel. He was drafted, which shines a positive light on UD, and now he has a chance to make his NBA dream come true. I’ve never understood why anyone would cast him in such a negative light or take potshots at his character. It’s fine to be disappointed that his Flyer days are over, but it’s also fine to take pride in a kid with NBA potential who will always be affiliated with the University of Dayton. In my book, that’s a good thing.
Well said. Based on many fan opinions, Kostas stole more lunch money than Buddy Revell. Ive never seen Kostas talk poorly about UD the school, the basketball program, the fans, or his experience in Dayton. He still wears UD apparel. So there seems to be zero animosity on his part about his two seasons here. He had to like it enough to tolerate it and sit out a season -- and a coaching change -- in order to play one full freshman season.

Fans are fickle. For the better part of two decades on UDPride the narrative was, "I pray for the day we start getting into the 'difficult position' of having our players leave early for the NBA. Its a problem I welcome with open arms." We finally get a player drafted in the NBA after playing just one frosh season (like Kentucky or Duke draftees) and the kid is a selfish, self-absorbed knob who used Dayton and didnt care about anybody other than himself. I wonder if Kentucky fans say the same thing about their 2-3 early entrant every year? Or show gratitude that the kids went to Kentucky and not a competitor school, and made the program better for having been there at all.

Are Arizona fans dragging Deandre Ayton over the coals for hanging around Tucson for just one season like a selfish d-bag?

Whether Kostas becomes Greek Freak 2.0 in the NBA, lives in the D League, or spends a career in Europe, UD is better for having had an NBA draftee -- the first since Negele Knight which is a lifetime ago. Its not about whether Kostas is the best player at UD since Negele to justify his draft card. The NBA doesnt draft on those metrics. If they did Scoochie and Sibert would have been drafted.

Sure we would have liked him to come back. We would have liked LaDontae Henton sticking around too. A kid's #1 priority is looking out for themselves. When times change, you change with the times and capitalize on your options. Coaches certainly do.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
13 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (07-15-2018), Alberto Strasse (07-15-2018), Bonziflyer (07-15-2018), Fairborn Fan (07-15-2018), Flyer 86 (07-15-2018), Justin (07-16-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (07-15-2018), Ready Action (07-15-2018), San Diego Flyer (07-15-2018), Sea Bass (07-15-2018), SeasonTicketFan (07-15-2018), sheg (07-15-2018), The Fly (07-15-2018)