Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 02:31 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lowd&ProUD View Post
I hear ya, and I agree in theory. You definitely don't want a rogue official trying to call the whole game. I'm not talking about a responsibility for making every call. I'm talking about correcting a clear mistake.
Think of it in baseball terms. Imagine there's a guy on second and the batter hits a Texas leaguer down the left field line. The runner on second sees it's going to fall so he takes off. The ball barely hits the chalk and the runner scores easily.

Then the manager appeals the call on the runner: did he step on 3rd base or miss it? If the 3rd base ump watching the ball for the fair / foul call says "I saw him hit 3rd base" the manager is going to ask "how is that possible, when it was behind your back and you were responsible for watching the ball?!?! In that case, I appeal the fair / foul call." Then the 3rd base ump says "no I saw that too, it was fair."

You can't be watching both. If you saw it, you were incompetent -- not a hero. It's only "clear" if you're looking at it, and if you're looking at it, you clearly MISSED something else you were supposed to be watching.