Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Absolutely correct Jack. I have lived here for 20 plus years and the only followers are SLU alum. SLU is like women's basketball at UD, little to no interest from the community if not grads.

Market size is large but the draw is small. Mizzou SEMO and even Illinois draws more interest. Then add in the fact SLU fans are Fairweather fans. They show up when winning but don't bother otherwise. Too many options here.
I have been here for 23 years. Season ticket holder for 12 years. I don’t necessarily agree with the sentiments of jack and avid. They’re accurate in respect to the last 5 years, but over the last 20-25 years, SLU has had more moments of excitement and support than not. The Spoonball of the 90’s then Romar to Sodabug to Majerus they have had plenty of local support that has extended beyond the Alumni. I can confirm this first hand as I know plenty who attend the games that aren’t alums.

Bottom line, when they’re winning more often than not and are competitive with the top teams in the league, the support is there. Lots of clouded uncertainty over this last player that’s playing under appeal on the Title IX investigation. IF that turns out to be Goodwin and he ends up gone, there’s legit concern over losing their top recruit in waiting for 2018 and that it could really turn into a tailspin from there.