Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
First, you mean the currently proposed rule would only allow a player to transfer once without sitting out. "You're overreacting! Next you'll say colleges should start paying players as if they weren't amateurs!"

Second, do you honestly propose to know that BR and CW would not chase bigger exposure and more money just because they are local? Gads, I hope you don't own a business. People are people. They will chase the money. And who can blame them. And CW could not have changed his mind if he didn't like the direction of the program? You're taking a nearly infinite number of variables and holding them all constant and then mocking the idea that there could be literally anything that would cause a 19 year old boy to change his mind. Wow.

But the best one is the idea that SS could not have transferred anywhere. Sure, he can make minced meat out of some of the best programs in the country while playing for UD, but, "he was . . . not an elite player that could have transferred anywhere." Anywhere? The winningest PG in UD history who had a ridiculous record against P5 schools could not have transferred "anywhere"?! Double WOW.
1) Yes, I mean the currently proposed rule because that is the rule currently proposed. What else is there to debate other than dooms day hypotheticals that you are so sure will happen?

2) CW already had big offers. He chose to come to UD over those big offers. In his own words, he came to UD to build something and to show local talent they could go to Dayton and be successful.

BR would be the least surprising to me to transfer out of the ones you suggested, but I still can't see him transferring. He used that fact that he had no big offers as a chip on his shoulder. Maybe knowing CW and BR personally is affecting my view of your hypothetical dooms day you are saying would have happened. I was in school and around the program BR's last 2 years and CW's first 3 years.

3) SS was a good player at UD, but he was not an elite player. And you know exactly what I mean when I said he couldn't transfer anywhere. Meaning he wasn't good enough to go to the blue bloods and be an instant impact guy. He would have been solid bench player, but he is not starting at Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, or even a schools like Villanova, Gonzaga, or Xavier. I think we are letting recency bias cloud our judgement a little bit.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (09-13-2017)