Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 05:29 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
Short answer: If you are a Flyer fan - then yes.

Long Answer: I still don't have a clear understanding of what he did wrong (other than not finishing class). In terms of leaving early - he ended up with an NBA contract (albeit a 2-Way - which we would celebrate all night if his name was Scoochie). If you offered each of our current players a 2-way contract with an NBA team if they left right now, I feel very confident some of them would take you up on that. Yes - he needs time to develop. His options were to either do that in Dayton for free (plus going to class) or get paid to develop under the supervision of an NBA team. I really can't find fault in either choice depending on the player.

If 5 years from now he's playing in Greece we can all look back and talk about the "what-ifs". But so far all he's done is do everything his "fans" say he can't.

He won't get drafted. He won't get a contract. Check and check.

He's a former Flyer who is trying to make his dreams come true. And so far he's doing that. I cannot understand why a fan of the Dayton Flyers wouldn't want that for him and celebrate progress towards those goals.
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Since I do not know Kostas personally, I defer to the opinions of his team mates who know him far better than any posters.

Here is what Josh Cunningham had to say to a few "fans" who criticized (not a strong enough word) Kostas on social media.
@JoshMCunningham
Follow Follow @JoshMCunningham
If you a real Dayton fan you would congratulate @Kostas_ante13 not talk about what he should have done or he is not ready. His dreams just came true tonight. Y’all should be
happy for him and his family.
9:37 PM - 21 Jun 2018

That was followed by Trey Landers
Replying to @JoshMCunningham
Facts if you ain’t got nothing good to say then don’t say nothing at all !! We family so if you talk about him then has offensive to US period !

And those tweets were retweeted by most of the returning players that I saw. If you read the recent DDN article about Trey, you know it started with recounting draft night... he and Kostas were calling each other at the same time Kostas' name was called.
Even if you don't care for Kostas, if you are a Dayton fan, respect the current players and let up on the criticism of their friend. My 2 cents.
Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post
When you cut thru the crap, your argument is you won't root for him because he HURT YOUR FEELINGS?!!!!

I guess I get it. You invested a lot of time in him and he spurned you. He's told you... it's not you; it's him. Unacceptable! You invested some of the best years of your life in him.

As you work thru the stages of grief, you will know you hit acceptance when you realize the NBA draft was one of the very few highlights of the UD season.
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Yep...If one is really bothered and upset by what pimple-faced, string bean teenagers who can probably barely wake up in the morning without assistance do, then that person has serious serious issues. "Said" player owes ZILCH/NOTTA/NOTHING/NILL to one fan/person anywhere (outside of family) unless that butt-hurt fan got a little to frisky in sending lunch money to that player and had ulterior motives all along.

Every single kid who plays sports at some point in grade school, HS and/or college has aspirations of playing a pro sport and getting paid.

The ones who really either get better or have potential to get better are dreaming of this as 18-22 year olds....God love these pro sports GM's, owners, etc. who see something in these kids to help them realize their dreams...

In summary,??

I'm not rooting against him. And since he's already screwed up (IMO) and wasted his best opportunity by going too early, the only thing left is to hope for the best for him. But no, I won't cheer for dumb decision making.

(AND BY THE WAY, YES, I COULD BE WRONG AND MAYBE IT WAS NOT A DUMB DECISION.)

Let's change it around a bit, shall we? Trump destroys {trade agreement X}, thus permanently and significantly damaging our relationship with {country Y}. What's done is done, eh? Like Kostas declaring early, let's just cheer for the best now! Go USA!! Methinks that's not how you would react. Same here. Bad decision making is bad decision making, and yes I'd like it to work out now that we're here, but I don't have to be happy about how we got here do I? Same with Kostas. It's honestly none of my business because it's his life, but, I don't have to be happy about the decision process. . . but since we're here, sure, good luck Kostas.

No, sorry Steve and bucketnight, I'm not an emotional person. I'm logical. Dumb is dumb, pimple faced or not. Hurt my feelings? Who da fa' is talking about feelings? Nice strawman argument chief.

You know what's even better than being able to say we got some guy drafted (with the last overall pick of the NBA draft into a 2-way contract)? That we got a guy drafted in the top 10. You shot your wad early my friend. You're too happy that you finally got some action and now it's over before it started. So yeah, sure, someone got drafted. If that's all you wanted in life, ya got it.