Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
This is kind of like the Heisman or MVP awards. There's no real set criteria. If you're asking who was the best offensive player, best shooter, best defender, best free throw shooter, etc, you can quantify those things.

Player of the Decade does not necessarily mean any of those things. I voted for BRob because he was the third all time scorer for UD, came up big in many big games, essentially carried the team for two seasons by himself, and did so playing out of position. I wish he'd have stepped up a little more, but I don't think any player was better.

I love Chris Wright, and he led us to our only NCAA win in the decade, but he's only been part of the team for 2 1/2 years (really 2 years with the injury). It's hard to give a 10 year award to a guy who was part of the team for 2 years. But man, the impact he's had on the program is amazing. He has changed the culture of UD, more than I think BRob did. That's not something you can quantify.

I like the poll, and if you count the decade from 2001 to 2010, then I will pick Wright when someone asks this question next year. I also hope to have a new NBA team to follow, but that's a different debate.