Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 11:03 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,874 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
...this may have been discussed elsewhere (apologies). But can someone (named Rollo) help explain the FT fiasco late in the game when the ref handed the ball to the Ball State player (Persons), then blew the whistle over "apparent" confusion as to whether it was a 2 shot foul or 1-n-1. Clearly after the ref blew his whistle, by like 2 seconds, the player continues to shoot first FT and makes it. After review they "apparently" confirm the 2 shot FT and ALLOW the first FT. After watching the DVR game replay, even the announcers repeated over and over: "they can't count that FT, they can't count that FT...".

Help!
I answered this on Saturday morning but I'm sure it didn't help.

When the whistle blows - inadvertent or not - play stops. It's a 'dead ball'. I don't know of any situation where points count during a 'dead ball' so I can't support the refs call. I reffed Saturday morning and discussed the situation with my partners. All agreed the FT should have been waved off and the refs should have re-shot the FT. We also all agreed that had he missed, the refs would have had no choice but to allow the shooter to re-shoot the FT due to the whistle.

I read, re-read and re-re-read the rule and case book regarding this situation and it isn't specifically addressed. Inadvertent whistles are discussed in normal situations including jump shots that have been released, but nothing about FTs taken after a whistle. Therefore, any decision made has to fall back on what can/cannot happen in a 'dead ball' situation...and scoring isn't an option!

But what do I know, huh? What do the real know-it-alls (you know, the 'A10 Refs Suck', Rollo's an idiot, beer swigging, YMCA men's league has-beens, never read a rulebook in their life) have to say about this?
Radar (11-13-2017), ruechalgrin (11-13-2017)